He preferred different brands such as The Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Rush, and Ir… But I think it was Kill ‘Em All that really changed my life and really had an effect on me. To this day, it holds up as one of the most ground-breaking albums ever. Pepper is going to celebrate its 50th birthday this week. Heavy metal drummer and vocalist best known for co-founding the band Dream Theater. As you know, Mike Portnoy achieved worldwide fame as the drummer of Dream Theatre but it is not the only reason […] Most of these songs have previously been released on special editions of … It’s one of those albums where they broke every rule in the book, and then wrote a whole new book of rules in the process. And then sure enough, in its wake, I discovered Exodus’ Bonded by Blood, Anthrax’s Fistful of Metal, Megadeth, Testament, and bands like that. I had already been listening to Motörhead and stuff like that, but this was the power and volume of Motörhead, but was really tight. They formed a band, initially taking the name "Majesty" before changing their name to Dream Theater. Pepper. is "ludicrously good" says our reviewer, Jason Bieler shines on star-studded sonic adventure Songs For The Apocalypse, Lonely The Brave hit unexpected new heights on The Hope List, Here Lies Man mesmerise on genre-melding album Ritual Divination, Bon Scott's strange prog rock past explored on Fraternity's Seasons Of Change. And to this day, I still think it’s the one that had the biggest impact on me. Overview ↓ Biography ↓ Discography ↓ Songs ↓ But there were quite a few non-prog surprises in the list he assembled for us. I grew to appreciate that album on a musical level - as well as the rest of the Zappa catalog, which shaped who I am. And the album has so much depth in terms of production and sonic value, but it’s not like the later-day Radiohead albums, where it’s just experimentation for experimentation’s sake. Long Island native Mike Portnoy is best known as the former drummer for progressive metal group Dream Theater. Born in 1967, he began playing drums in his teens for various small bands, including the… Read Full Biography. The band had just released the album Black Clouds and Silver Linings and completed a world tour. And allowed me the ability to do everything I’ve done ever since. Long Island native Mike Portnoy is best known as the former drummer for progressive metal group Dream Theater. He has won twenty-six awards from Modern Drummer. However, he requested a clarification be included before we start - “It’s important to differentiate the ten albums that changed my life vs. my ten favourite albums. Adrenaline Mob, Amazing Journey, Avenged Sevenfold, BPMD, Cygnus And The Sea Monsters, Dream Theater, Flying Colors, Hammer Of The Gods, Inner Sanctum (6), Liquid Tension Experiment, Liquid Trio Experiment, Majesty (10), Metal Allegiance, Mike Portnoy's … And at that point, we changed singers, record companies, we spent two years writing this material with nothing going for us - no audience, no fanbase, no management, no singer, no record label. That pretty much changed my life and made me who I am today - in terms of wanting to be a touring musician. Adrenaline Mob, Cygnus and the Sea Monsters, Dream Theater, Flying Colors, Hammer of the Gods, Inner Sanctum, Liquid Tension Experiment, Liquid Trio Experiment, Liquid Trio Experiment 2, Metal Allegiance, OSI, Rising Power, Sons of Apollo, Transatlantic, The Winery Dogs, Yellow Matter Custard. Which is a little more straight-ahead, 4/4 drumming. That was the album that really shaped my style of what was to come in my career. Drummer Mike Portnoy, famous for his work on Dream Theater showed in a recent Youtube video his extensive record collection and revealed his 5 favorite albums of all time and explained why. Pepper. The production is just so deep. A lot of people pinpoint Master of Puppets as the quintessential Metallica album. I celebrated my 50th birthday last month, and Sgt. I can’t help but listen to what he does, and be blown away. It’s like watching an intense film from start to finish. Cover To Cover is a studio album of cover songs recorded by Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy and Randy George during the recording of the albums Testimony (2003), One (2004) and ? We made that record after sitting around for almost two years, in the wake of the failure of our debut album [1989’s When Dream and Day Unite]. I just fell in love with those songs on that album. The next drummer from that era who shaped who I am today and changed my life was John Bonham. Please deactivate your ad blocker in order to see our subscription offer, Video: Mike Portnoy thrashes metal classics on a tiny Pokemon drum kit, Steve Howe: The 10 Records That Changed My Life, Read Classic Rock, Metal Hammer & Prog for free with TeamRock+, Retransmission by W.E.T. 1-3 - Mike Portnoy, Neal Morse, Randy George, George Randy on AllMusic - 2020 I’m going to go with The Song Remains the Same, which is a live album. To this day, it holds up as one of the most ground-breaking albums ever. It’s so hard to pick just one Zappa album, because they were all so different. Forever. That showed me the way a concept album could be truly cinematic and take you on a journey. Following is an excerpt from his rundown. And the live versions are all extended, they’re improvising and branching out, and trying new things. The first is an album that came out six weeks after I came out - the Beatles’ Sgt. But I just love hearing them improvise and jam with each other. Thank you for signing up to Classic Rock. I wouldn’t be here talking to you today if we didn’t make and release that album. Born in 1967, he began playing drums in his teens for various small bands, including the…