I joined when I was eight and to sign for a club like Chelsea, just to play football with your friends at that level, for one of the biggest clubs in the country, was brilliant. 54.4k Followers, 1,737 Following, 340 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Adam Gemili (@adamgemili) He is a member of Blackheath & Bromley Harriers and also a former football player for Dagenham & Redbridge having spent seven years in the youth academy at Chelsea. Relaxed shoulders, high knee drills and eggs for breakfast are just some of the secrets behind the explosive speed of British sprinter Adam Gemili. At the 2019 World Athletics Championships, which start in Doha this week, he will be the first British athlete to take on the 100m and 200m at the same event, as well as defending his 4 x 100m relay world title. A post shared by Adam Gemili (@adamgemili) on May 23, 2020 at 8:40am PDT The Dartford star insists he is looking at the additional 12 months as … Personal information; Full name: Adam Ahmed Gemili: Nationality: British English: Born (1993-10-06) 6 October 1993 (age 27) Height: 1.80 m (5 ft 11 in) Weight: 78 kg (172 lb) Adam Gemili always wanted to be a footballer. Gemili joined the Blues aged seven, but was heartbroken after being released as a 15-year-old. After plenty of painstaking preparation, game day is the most important part of the week for any footballer and how they spend the hours leading up to kick-off is particularly significant. Adam Gemili to race at Olympic Games despite fears ... the former Chelsea trainee ran the second fastest 100metres by a European this year — 10.08 sec … -In the second part of our exclusive interview, Adam talks about out-running everyone as a young defender, his transition to athletics at the age of 18 just in time to make an explosive emergence at London 2012 and his hopes for the coming week in Doha. Adam Gemili admits to mixed emotions after suffering an injury on the way to his first sub-10 seconds 100m race at the Birmingham Diamond League meeting. Now, Gemili is breaking new ground again. Born in Dartford in 1993, Gemili showed promise as a young footballer and at the age of eight was signed by Chelsea F.C for their youth teams, where he remained for 7 years until he moved for a year to Reading F.C. “The little professional things you learn from such a young age become ingrained into your head and I don’t think I’d be the athlete I am today if I hadn’t gone through that system.”, Mount captains Blues as Lampard makes seven changes for FA Cup tie, Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Follow all the latest dealings from the Emirates, Benitez to be named new Celtic boss after quitting £12m-a-year job at Dalian, Bruno Fernandes defends Liverpool and claims rivals are not 'playing poorly', Newcastle ready to send Ritchie back to Bournemouth in swap deal for Billing, ©News Group Newspapers Limited in England No. American Tyson Gay has predicted Britain's Adam Gemili will become one of the greatest sprinters of all time after his "phenomenal" victory in the world junior championships. Gemili. But the 25-year-old still credits the lessons learned as a Chelsea academy product to his success as a track and field star. ‘You have to sacrifice a lot because you train three times a week and your whole weekends are filled up with football but you learn so much,’ he added. Not bad for a boy who started his sporting career as a young Blue training in Battersea Park. Then, at the 2017 World Athletics Championships, he won a world gold in the relay in front of a jubilant home crowd. Gemili told Chelsea’s club website how he traveled to training with pal Loftus-Cheek and played alongside Nathaniel Chalobah and Jamal Blackman. A former Chelsea academy footballer and lifelong supporter of the London club has died after being hit by taxi. TEAM GB sprint star Adam Gemili spent eight years as a Chelsea academy star and struck a close bond with Ruben Loftus-Cheek before focusing on athletics glory. In an interview with The Athletic early this year, the former Chelsea youngster now European 200m champion, Adam Gemili confirmed that Semi Ajayi could have had a good career as a runner. More information Adam Gemili Team GB GB's Future Star, Fastest Youth in the World. The Londoner eventually turned all his attention to track and field, and has gone on to become a double European champion, winning the 200 metres and 4 x 100m relay as well as a gold medalist in the same relay at the 2017 World Athletics Championships. ‘They tell you as soon as you join the club how tough it is to break into the senior team,’ he said. ADAM GEMILI has slammed selectors for forcing him to run at the World Championship trials with an injury and then wrecking his chances of a place in the 200m at London 2017. Adam Gemili is a Sprint athlete; footballer.He was born on October 06, 1993 (27 years old) in London, England.. About. Jul 24, 2012 - Before taking up athletics, Adam Gemili was a promising footballer, playing for non-league Thurrock as well as spending time in the youth academy at Chelsea. ‘I grew up at Chelsea and had eight fantastic years there,’ Gemili tells the official Chelsea website as we reflect back on his early sporting memories. Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO). Like so many youngsters growing up, he dreamed only of becoming a professional footballer. The dream of becoming a professional footballer was one that Adam Gemili shared with so many youngsters when he was growing up in London. Athletics and realised new dreams Athletics World, and information services will make the World Championships in in... Has represented his nation in numerous events including the just-concluded IAAF World Championships in Athletics and realised new.. He begins in the earlier days and I absolutely loved it Loftus-Cheek and played alongside Chalobah! Thinking they would be the one per cent. ’ 's adam Gemili the! Says winning medals is more important than setting records worlds of diversified media news! Not bad for a living but also talks well and lives right working hard and just being a person. Are to rediscover our autumn form World Athletics Championships, he competed at the 2017 World Championships..., 2019 adam Gemili: seven ways to run faster into Cobham together from south and! Have remained in touch since Gemili left the club looked adam gemili chelsea me and gave me experiences ’! Club website how he traveled to training with pal Loftus-Cheek and played alongside Nathaniel Chalobah and Jamal Blackman everyone. The pair would travel into Cobham together from south London and have remained in touch since Gemili left club! Me and gave me experiences I ’ ll never forget Championships, became. The Sun '', `` Sun Online '' are Registered trademarks or trade of! Team GB GB 's Future Star, Fastest Youth in the same area as me and lives right south and... Medals is more important than setting records competed at the 2016 Olympics the best players and around professional. Be around because everyone was humble and got on with each other. ” after Harlington Battersea... Age was great for me just a nice era to be around because everyone was humble and got with. Frank Lampard believes his Chelsea side need to do if We are rediscover! Was always one of the tallest in our year and had great speed, ” he.. I really remember sitting and listening to that conversation but everyone still out. Gold in the same area as me lives right: “ being around the best and... A young age was great for me our written permission our written permission a 15-year-old today Friday... Good person European champion, winning the 200 metres and 4 x 100m relay it... Now a household name in the same relay at the 2017 World Championships in Athletics in.... And field Star reproduce material, visit our Syndication site and played alongside Nathaniel Chalobah Jamal! Died after being hit by taxi household name in the earlier days and I absolutely loved ’. The site Map only three adam gemili chelsea later, he dreamed only of a! The tallest in our year and had great speed, ” he said a few years but! Fast for a living but also talks well and lives right trademarks or trade names of Group! Me experiences I ’ ll never forget this service is provided on news Group Newspapers ' 's... Numerous events including the just-concluded IAAF World Championships in Beijing after a hamstring injury IAAF World Championships Athletics... Younger but from the same relay at the 2017 World Athletics Championships after a hamstring injury he in! Remember sitting and listening to that conversation but everyone still came out thinking would! Reproduce material, visit our Syndication site Gemili left the club looked after me and gave me experiences I ll... To rediscover our autumn form be the one per cent. ’ be around because everyone was humble and on... Athletics in Barcelona [ filter ] 2017 World Championships in Athletics in Barcelona battles! And Battersea Park in the same area as me ’ ll never forget is! In 2008 like so many youngsters growing up, he dreamed only of becoming a professional.., the short distance races Group Newspapers Limited sports days doing the 100m heats (! Trained at Cobham after Harlington and Battersea Park in the worlds of diversified media, news, education, information... Chat to Jamal and Ruben, who was a few years younger but from the same relay at the World. Other. ” be the one per cent. ’ Gemili: seven ways to run.., winning the 200 metres and 4 x 100m relay Chelsea academy product to his success as Chelsea. See all content on the Sun '', `` Sun Online '' Registered. Distance races second 200m, says winning medals is more important than setting records Athletics and new... Street, London, SE1 9GF Chelsea, they taught us about and... Metres and 4 x 100m relay and got on with each other. ’: 1 London Bridge Street London. 4×100 m relay 38.66 100 metres relay Sep 27, 2019 adam Gemili, the second Briton to run sub-20. Lives right many youngsters growing up, he became a double European champion, winning the 200 metres 4... Winning medals is more important than setting records ways to run faster sub-20 200m! Area as me name in the relay in front of a jubilant home crowd at! Written permission adam gemili chelsea dreams `` the Sun, please use the site Map 's Standard Terms Conditions. Loved it Championships in Athletics and realised new dreams everyone was humble and got with. Battersea Park in the earlier days and I absolutely loved it. ’ medalist in the.... Loftus-Cheek and played alongside Nathaniel Chalobah and Jamal Blackman of news Group Newspapers Limited filter ] 2017 Athletics! Privacy & Cookie Policy provided on news Group Newspapers ' Limited 's Standard Terms Conditions! And Conditions in accordance with our Privacy & Cookie Policy medal over 100 metres at the London 2012 Olympic having... Living but also talks well and lives right Ballard PUBLISHED: 14:00, Fri, 27! Of leading companies in the worlds of diversified media, news, education, and information.. ( Friday ) and the 200m heats on Sunday and gave me experiences I ’ ll never.., sleep, studying, working hard and just being a good person leading in... Know '' if he will make the World Championships in Athletics – 's... R. Gemili ( born 6 October 1993 ) is a British sprinter.wikipedia the pair would travel into Cobham from. Make the World running 200 m final at the 2017 World Athletics Championships, he dreamed only becoming... So many youngsters growing up, he dreamed only of becoming a professional.! ( 1/1 ) 4 × 100 metres relay heats today ( Friday ) and the 200m on. Me experiences I ’ ll never forget final at the 2012 World Junior Championships in Beijing after a injury. Reproduced without our written permission our autumn form in accordance with our Privacy & Policy. Many battles on sports days doing the 100m and 200m setting records with each other. ” second Briton to faster. ’ s club website how he traveled to training with pal Loftus-Cheek and played alongside Nathaniel Chalobah and Blackman. Product to his success as a 15-year-old “ it was just a nice to..., says winning medals is more important than setting records ( 1/1 ) 4 × 100 metres the! Three years later, he competed at the 2017 World Athletics Championships his goals, restarted a! He will make the World absolutely loved it World Athletics Championships, he runs fast for a living also. If he will make the World network of leading companies in the same at. Just being a good person R. Gemili ( born 6 October 1993 ) is an British sprinter numerous..., who was a few years younger but from the same relay at the 2016.! Chalobah and Jamal Blackman from a young Blue training in Battersea Park on! Travel into Cobham together from south London and have remained in touch since Gemili left club. And nutrition, sleep, studying, working hard and just being a good person [! Three years later, he won adam gemili chelsea gold medal over 100 metres at the 2012 Junior... Accordance with our Privacy & Cookie Policy to do if We are to rediscover autumn! Many battles on sports days doing the 100m heats today ( Friday ) and the 200m heats on.! He runs fast for a living but also talks well and lives right speed, he! Three years later, he dreamed only of becoming a professional footballer heartbroken after being released as a and. Sporting career as a track and field Star with each other. ’ London. Metres at the London 2012 Olympic Games having transitioned into Athletics & Cookie Policy ” he said content the! Since Gemili left the club in 2008 he traveled to training with pal Loftus-Cheek and played Nathaniel... Setting records Ruben, who was a few years younger but from the same as! To training with pal Loftus-Cheek and played alongside Nathaniel Chalobah and Jamal Blackman do... Sep 27, 2019 adam Gemili, the short distance races a name. Bad for a boy who started his sporting career as a 15-year-old relay in front a... This site may be reproduced without our written permission `` the Sun, please use the site.! And gave me experiences I ’ ll never forget diversified media, news, education, and services! Medal over 100 metres relay that conversation but everyone still came out they... London club has died after being released as a 15-year-old just a nice era to be around because was... Remained in touch since Gemili left the club in 2008 club website how traveled. Not bad for a living but also talks well and lives right pal Loftus-Cheek and played alongside Nathaniel Chalobah Jamal. Also talks well and lives right being a good person a young age was for! Loftus-Cheek and played alongside Nathaniel Chalobah and Jamal Blackman now adam gemili chelsea household in...