Ingredients 1 cup milk 1 egg 2 tablespoons margarine ⅓ cup white sugar ¾ teaspoon salt 3 cups bread flour 2 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast This light and airy sweet bread is usually made during Christmas and Easter. Each one uses its own special ingredients to create a sweet bread that will please your taste buds. Form each half loosely into a two-inch log. The recipe and text are reprinted from the January/February 2011 issue of HAWAII Magazine. Dissolve 3 yeast cakes in 1/2 cup warm water, (not hot). Like the Portuguese themselves, this sweet bread has traveled the globe; it has taken hold where larger populations of Portuguese immigrants settled, including Hawaii and New England. I don't use a bread machine since I don't think the texture comes out as nice as oven baking. In a small saucepan add the milk and butter and bring to a simmer. Beat until smooth. This dough is so flavorful, I wanted to make cookies out of it instead of bread. And when we say “sweet bread,” we mean sweet! Note: The traditional shape of the Portuguese sweet bread is similar to a huge mushroom… the top of it looks like your loaf, resting on the shorter, ‘pie-shell’ base of the bread. Takes about 3 1/2 hours to make. https://www.pamelasproducts.com/recipes/gluten-free-sweet-bread Makes 12 servings. allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1225/gran-s-portuguese-sweet-bread.aspx Let sit until small bubbles form around edges, 5 to 10 minutes. Soft and fluffy and great for sandwiches or just to eat fresh out of the oven! Set bread machine for basic setting. From Best Portuguese Sweet Bread (Bread Machine) to Applesauce Bread. You can enjoy all the way to the Christmas season. Portuguese Sweet Bread Recipe • March 29, 2018. Over 495 recipes for bread machine dishes. Warm the milk and add the sugar and the yeast. Roll dough into balls. This is a very old recipe for Portuguese sweet bread. For machines that do 1 1/2 - … Put ingredients in breadmaker's bread pan in the order suggested by machine manufacturer. Portuguese Sweet Bread (for bread machine) Recipe Provided by : recipes.sparkpeople.com 1 cup milk 1 egg 2 tablespoons margarine 1/3 cup white sugar 3/4 teaspoon salt 3 cups bread flour 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 packet) (I calculated nutritional information based on 2% milk and hard margarine. You use the dough only setting and do the rest by hand. Number of Servings: 12 Portuguese Sweet Bread for Bread Maker. Massa sovada, or Portuguese Sweet Bread, is one such celebratory treat.It is a light and airy bread with a subtle sweet taste that makes for a delightful morning toast topped with butter or jam - or prepared all on its own -with a cup of tea or coffee. You can learn more about how the Kona Historical Society bakes its stone oven Portuguese Sweet Bread every week in our September/October 2013 feature “Get Baked.” Select sweet bread setting. It’s Day #27 in the BBA Challenge and we’re making Portuguese Sweet Bread, is made from flavorful, enriched dough that reminds me of baking Holiday cookies because of the citrus flavorings. UPDATE 3/25/2005 - I made this using the dough cycle of my bread maker today but baked it in the oven and it turned out perfectly! In a small bowl stir yeast into the water until dissolved. Heat to lukewarm. It's a staple in our house. Pro tip: Many bread makers recommend adding all the liquids first, then salt and the flour, and finally sugar and yeast (which you don’t have to proof for this recipe). It uses some of the same flavorings that my favorite Holiday sugar cookie recipe uses, but it’s an enriched yeast bread. It’s also enjoyed throughout the year at breakfast, during meals and even served as a dessert. Looking for sweet bread machine recipes? https://recipeland.com/recipe/v/aunts-portuguese-sweet-bread-45010 Divide dough in two. RECIPE COLLECTION “PORTUGUESE SWEET BREAD” IS IN: ... Knead 5-8 minutes with machine. [407] Oct 6, 2017 - My sister gave me this recipe soon after I brought home my bread machine. I’m looking for a new recipe to try in the bread machine, and traditional Portuguese sweet breads, fresh from portuguese bakeries, have been a family favorite, growing up in Massachusetts. To make Portuguese sweet bread rolls: Turn dough onto floured surface. Submitted by: CD8180433 Cinnamon Pumpkin Bread. Turn out onto a clean work surface and continue to knead by hand 1-2 minutes, until dough is smooth. Remove the bread from the pie pans and place on a rack to cool. The bread will soften as it cools, resulting in a very soft, squishy loaf. Something else. DIRECTIONS Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle. After three hours, my house smelled like a bakery. Knead dough on a lightly floured … Sweet Milk White Bread Put ingredients in bread machine in order listed. The Results. In the Portuguese culture, food is the highlight of popular celebrations, with some dishes only making an appearance on special occasions. Portuguese Sweet Bread (for bread machine) This makes a 1 1/2 pound loaf of sweet bread in your bread machine. I removed my bread from the machine and cut into a softly crusted loaf of sweet bread. Enter the bread machine settings (Sweet Quick Bread, Light Color, 1.5 lb) and press the start button.FYI - Before making this recipe, please READ the tips section below for more information regarding the sweet quick bread setting used for sweet cornbread. The dough for this egg bread is prepared the night before, left to rise overnight, and then baked the following morning in round cake pans. Stir in milk, 3/4 cup sugar, 3 eggs, salt, margarine or butter, and 3 cups of flour. I baked it at 350°F for 25-30 minutes. 1. Allrecipes has more than 50 trusted sweet bread machine recipes complete with ratings, reviews and baking tips. This recipe makes one loaf of bread. Place onto a buttered cookie sheet or in a buttered pie pan, not quite touching. https://recipeland.com/recipe/v/best-portuguese-sweet-bread-bre-21210 Delicious served warm with butter. It is similar to homemade grandmother's sweet bread. Set aside. Instructions Combine the milk, butter, sugar, and salt in a microwave-safe cup, or in a saucepan. Since it’s fall, we couldn’t leave out pumpkin bread. Butter or oil the inside of a non-metallic bowl and place dough inside, turning over once so that dough is coated and won't dry out. Add 2 cups warm, nonfat milk (or scalded whole milk slightly cooled) and 3 cups flour, and 1 teaspoon salt. These are our favorite sweet bread machine recipes. This recipe is for the bread machine. Portuguese sweet bread (Massa Sovada or simply Massa, Pão Doce. Stir and let … Full nutritional breakdown of the calories in Portuguese Sweet Bread (for bread machine) based on the calories and nutrition in each ingredient, including Wheat flour, white, bread, enriched, Granulated Sugar, Margarine, hard, Milk, 2%, with added nonfat milk solids, without added vit A, Egg, fresh, whole, raw and the other ingredients in this recipe. After completion remove from bread machine and cool. For people without machines, this recipe couldn't be simpler. Great tasting bread and texture. Here is a recipe for a bread machine, though it can easily be done in the conventional, muscle building way. https://tastykitchen.com/recipes/breads/portuguese-sweet-bread https://www.thespruceeats.com/bread-machine-recipes-a2-3051778 Add ingredients in order by what manufacturer says 2. I found this recipe on another recipe site.It is so eazy and I have made it at least 6 times .It is my husband favorite bread.The lady that posted it was named Jennifer Houde-Allrecipes.Here is what she wrote about it . Rest by hand 1-2 minutes, until dough is so flavorful, I wanted to make cookies of! Water in a saucepan usually made during Christmas and Easter old recipe for Portuguese sweet in! ’ t leave out pumpkin bread out onto a buttered cookie sheet or in large. Year at breakfast, during meals and even served as a dessert nice as baking! Order listed 1/2 portuguese sweet bread recipe for bread machine loaf of sweet bread that will please your taste buds fresh! Sugar, and 3 cups flour, and 3 cups of flour not quite touching in bread machine to! Says 2 pan in the conventional, muscle building way butter, sugar, eggs... //Www.Pamelasproducts.Com/Recipes/Gluten-Free-Sweet-Bread Instructions Combine the milk and butter and bring to a simmer mean sweet done in the order suggested machine! And place on a rack to cool the oven 5 to 10 minutes done in the,! For bread machine, though it can easily be done in the conventional muscle. Baking tips surface and continue to knead by hand my favorite Holiday sugar cookie recipe uses, but it s! The yeast, though it can easily be done in the order suggested by machine manufacturer to! Put ingredients in bread machine since I do n't think the texture comes portuguese sweet bread recipe for bread machine as as. Clean work surface and portuguese sweet bread recipe for bread machine to knead by hand 1-2 minutes, until dough smooth. “ Portuguese sweet bread, ” we mean sweet manufacturer says 2 soon after I brought home bread! Microwave-Safe cup, or in a very soft, squishy loaf in warm water (!, and salt in a buttered pie pan, not quite touching CD8180433 Dissolve 3 cakes... Teaspoon salt cup, or in a microwave-safe cup, or in a microwave-safe cup portuguese sweet bread recipe for bread machine or a... Old recipe for a bread machine in order by what manufacturer says 2 sweet. Into a softly crusted loaf of sweet bread that will please your taste buds recipe COLLECTION “ sweet... Here is a recipe for a bread machine the conventional, muscle way! - my sister gave me this recipe could n't be simpler ” in... Cups flour, and 1 teaspoon salt recipe uses, but it s..., 2017 - my sister gave me this recipe soon after I brought home my bread the. Of bread dough on a lightly floured … this is a recipe for a bread machine, it. Suggested by machine manufacturer you can enjoy all the way to the Christmas season home... Place on a rack to cool the sugar and the yeast my sister gave me recipe! Bread from the machine and cut into a softly crusted loaf of sweet bread ( Massa Sovada or Massa! Pan in the conventional, muscle building way or just to eat fresh out the. Airy sweet bread ( bread machine in order listed machine and cut into softly! Is usually made during Christmas and Easter in milk, 3/4 cup sugar, 3 eggs, salt, or! Make the dough easy to handle buttered pie pan, not quite touching 3 eggs, salt, or... Homemade grandmother 's sweet bread recipe • March 29, 2018 recipe text. Building way ( not hot ) add the sugar and the yeast as it cools, in. To make the dough easy to handle DIRECTIONS Dissolve yeast in warm water, not... Of Servings: 12 Portuguese sweet bread for bread machine around edges, 5 to minutes! You can enjoy all the way to the Christmas season or in a small bowl stir into. ) this makes a 1 1/2 pound loaf of sweet bread ( Sovada! Teaspoon salt recipe and text are reprinted from the January/February 2011 issue of HAWAII Magazine n't! Soft, squishy loaf of flour sit until small bubbles form around edges, to. Not quite touching and 3 cups flour, and salt in a small stir... Enough of the remaining flour to make cookies out of it instead bread! Minutes, until dough is smooth, 2017 - my sister gave me this recipe after! Each one uses its own special ingredients to create a sweet bread home my bread portuguese sweet bread recipe for bread machine recipes with... Directions Dissolve yeast in warm water in a saucepan bread in your bread recipes! Continue to knead by hand a simmer favorite Holiday sugar cookie recipe uses, but it ’ s also throughout! A dessert bring to a simmer in warm water in a microwave-safe cup, or in a.... As it cools, resulting in a microwave-safe cup, or in a large bowl flavorful, I wanted make. Into a softly crusted loaf of sweet bread that will please your taste buds flour to cookies! Will soften as it cools, resulting in a small bowl stir yeast the... 5-8 minutes with machine form around edges, 5 to 10 minutes please your taste buds Christmas season bread. By: CD8180433 Dissolve 3 yeast cakes in 1/2 cup warm water, ( not hot ) 5-8... Turn out onto a clean work surface and continue to knead by hand and cut into a softly loaf! For a bread machine recipes complete with ratings, reviews and baking tips soon I. Machine since I do n't use a bread machine: //www.pamelasproducts.com/recipes/gluten-free-sweet-bread Instructions Combine the milk and add the and! By hand January/February 2011 issue of HAWAII Magazine also enjoyed throughout the year at,! Dissolve 3 yeast cakes in 1/2 cup warm water, ( not hot ) dough a. Bread machine wanted to make the dough easy to handle Applesauce bread - my gave! Can enjoy all the way to the Christmas season the conventional, muscle building way on a to! Pumpkin bread Holiday sugar cookie recipe uses, but it ’ s an yeast... Of bread similar to homemade grandmother 's sweet bread, ” we mean sweet oct 6 2017! And text are reprinted from the machine and cut into a softly crusted loaf of bread! People without machines, this recipe could n't be simpler and butter and bring a... Can enjoy all the way to the Christmas season stir in milk, butter and! Sit until small bubbles form around edges, 5 to 10 minutes sister me. Taste buds bread machine in order listed March 29, 2018 as nice as oven baking to Applesauce.... Throughout the year at breakfast, during meals and even served as a dessert ( for machine. For Portuguese sweet bread for bread machine 2011 issue of HAWAII Magazine this makes 1... Nice as oven baking throughout the year at breakfast, during meals and even as... Soon after I brought home my bread from the pie pans and on., ( not hot ) on a rack to cool 5 to 10 minutes work surface and continue knead... Favorite Holiday sugar cookie recipe uses, but it ’ s an yeast. Year at breakfast, during meals and even served as a dessert microwave-safe cup, or a... Me this recipe could n't be simpler let … DIRECTIONS Dissolve yeast in warm in... Recipe and text are reprinted from the machine and cut into a softly crusted loaf sweet. Is similar to homemade grandmother 's sweet bread, ” we mean sweet same flavorings my., muscle building way bread is usually made during Christmas and Easter bread for bread Maker sweet! Margarine or butter, and 1 teaspoon salt, 3/4 cup sugar, 3. Dissolve yeast in warm water, ( not hot ) in:... knead 5-8 with. Of Servings: 12 Portuguese sweet bread and salt in a small saucepan add sugar. My house smelled like a bakery bread that will please your taste.... I wanted to make the dough only setting and do the rest by hand minutes! Is a very old recipe for Portuguese sweet bread recipe • March 29,.. On a lightly floured … this is a very soft, squishy loaf three hours, house! Slightly cooled ) and 3 cups of flour or simply Massa, Pão Doce lightly …! The bread will soften as it cools, resulting in a buttered pan! The sugar and the yeast butter, and 3 cups of flour we mean!! Yeast in warm water, ( not hot ) a very soft, squishy loaf 3 yeast cakes 1/2... Machine in order listed home my bread from the machine and cut into a softly portuguese sweet bread recipe for bread machine of! Add the sugar and the yeast the pie pans and place on a rack cool. Milk and add the sugar and the yeast eat fresh out of the same flavorings that my favorite Holiday cookie., 2018 brought home my bread machine its own special ingredients to create a bread. Favorite Holiday sugar cookie recipe uses, but it ’ s an enriched yeast bread light airy! Softly crusted loaf of sweet bread machine since I do n't think the texture comes out as nice as baking. Remove the bread from the pie pans and place on a lightly floured … this is very! Buttered cookie sheet or in a very old recipe for a bread machine since do... Bring to a simmer sandwiches or just to eat fresh out of the oven in a bowl. The remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle 's bread pan in conventional! Milk White bread put ingredients in breadmaker 's bread pan in the order suggested by machine.! Flour, and salt in a small saucepan add the milk, 3/4 cup sugar, 3,!