Spain to buy ship to track down sunken treasure, The collision and foundering of La Bourgogne, 1. Such a sad story. Looking for descendants of passengers/crew? Only 173 people survived, but fewer than 70 survivors were passengers, only one woman was rescued, and all children perished. In addition, it was felt that in the forty minutes interval between the collision and the sinking of the French liner, more lives should have been saved. [1] In 1886 she set a new record for the fastest Atlantic crossing by a postal steamer. Today, I was roaming an old church cemetery in New Jersey and I found a headstone in the memory of Cornelia Demarest ~ Lost at sea with her husband on S.S. La Bourgogne on July 4th, 1898. 1861 France to Boston MA stampless Les etats-Unis handstamp [5246.185] $99.99. 390 first class passengers Terry Good, 16. $149.99. I see #23 Arnet Taylor is also a relative of this fine man. It is mounted in black wooden frame. Two days later she steamed at full speed despite the fog she enveloped the Grand Bank. My great grandfather died on this ship-Peter Barrett of Philadelphia. Seeking passenger list of SS La Bourgogne arriving in New York Joseph Faltin Oct 4, 2020 7:01 PM I am looking for a passenger list for the April 1, 1895 arrival of the SS La Bourgogne in New York. You can read Mrs. La Casse's account of the sinking of the LaBourgogne in a book titled "Sinking of the Titanic,`Eyewitness Accounts"..pages 171-176, I'd like to correct a statement on my June 10th statement #23. He now thinks that if the French company had immediately sent out a vessel from Halifax upon receipt of the news, some of the unfortunates might have been rescued alive. Hello Caitlin the 08. She would go on to found schools, hospitals, orphanages and of course become the first American saint. SS La Bourgogne was a French ocean liner. The Cromartyshire then jettisoned thirty tons of her cargo to lighten the ship, and took the survivors from the French vessel aboard. A bronze plaque in my church - All Saints Episcopal Church, Bay Head, NJ - is dedicated to Francis Penn Steel, Jr. and his sister Gertrude who were "Lost at Sea" when La Bourgogne went down. My great uncle Peter Barrett originally from Tyrone N.Ireland, died in this wreck. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); My great great uncle Charles Elkoory survived this disaster. My Great Uncle - the artist De Scott Evans - and his three daughters were drowned in the shipwreck. He is still famous in Turkey. It is bordered by the regions of Auvergne-Rhone-Alpes, Centre, Ile-de-France, and Grand Est. Caitlin, 20. Launched in 1885 the La Bourgogne was a French ocean liner that traveled between Le Havre, France, and New York City. David Goncalves-Birch, 23. I have a water colour by A. Ogden representing the collision of these two ships. I was pretty certain my great great uncle was on this ship but I wanted to find supporting evidence. Many of the victims, he thought, caught pieces of wood and other wreckage, and their life gradually ebbed away in the vain hope of being rescued. [1] She was a 7,395 gross ton vessel, 494.4 feet (150.7 m) long and with a beam of 52.2 feet (15.9 m). The schooner was 248 feet long and was cruising about sixty miles south of Sable Island, off Nova Scotia, on the 4th of July, on a port tack, heading west northwest under reduced sail. // ]]> My Great Great Grandfather was on the La Bourgogne when it went down. My grandfather's sister went down on the Bourgogne along with a friend. Details relating to the disaster and the ship involved were later reconstructed. It soon was apparent that there had been considerable foul play and that the crew of the French ship had breached all discipline and regulations by forcibly and brutally taking possession of available life-boats and rafts to the exclusion of most passengers. Lebanon, which at that time was part of Syria and is today Lebanon. SS La Bourgogne was a French ocean liner, which sank in a collision July 1898, with the loss of 549 lives. In 1890 and 1891, there were a total of about 2,000 ship voyages per year which arrived at the port of New York, recorded in the National Archives microfilms. It's stern is under water, their people in the water and in lifeboats. His wife only had 1 arm due to an accident(she was originally from Ireland) and had to start working to support her family after the his death. They said his wife use to talk about the sinking of the ship and how Charles was in the water trying to get in a lifeboat and they were hitting his hands with an oar. John Walters, 45. Craig Rosenthal, 27. Any ideas how to get a list of those who died? My Grandfather said they never spoke her name again!Do any of the Halifax papers have accounts of the sinking or are there any artifacts in a museum there, by chance? She had two funnels and four masts, was of iron and steel construction, and propelled by a single screw giving a speed of 17 knots (20 mph). The four masted steamship La Bourgogne was launched in 1885, the second of four large steamships commissioned by Compagnie Générale Transatlantique. Bourgogne–Franche-Comte, region of France created in 2016 by the union of the former regions of Bourgogne and Franche-Comte. He married a Syrian girl in Springfield Massachusetts, had two sons and passed away in 1905 due to complications of pneumonia. Benjamin Langford, 19. Foi a segunda embarcação de um grupo de quatro transatlânticos que estrearam em 1886, depois do SS La Champagne e seguido do SS La Bretagne e SS La Gascogne.Foi lançado ao mar em 1885 e realizou … my great, great, great grandfather was a passenger on this ship, does anyone know where I can find the passenger list/ships manifest of passengers? Can you email me at benni01@hotmail.com. The French government indicated an inquiry and possibly a trial would be held in France. )showing the collision between the Cromartyshire and La Bourgogne. He left a wife and 3 young children behind. He immigrated to the United States sometime in the mid 1890s, from Mt. The La Bourgogne was built in 1885 at the Société Nouvelles de Forges et Chantiers de Médditerranée in La Seyne-sur-Mer, France for the Compagnie Generale Transatlantique better known as the French Line. Various newspapers, including Los Angeles Herald; El Paso Daily Herald (Texas); St. Paul Globe (Minnesota); Daily Capital Journal, (Oregon); Topeka State Journal (Kansas) and Madison Daily Leader (South Dakota) reported the following (or versions of it): " A dispatch to the New York World from Halifax, N.S., says: Undertaker John Snow, who accompanied the steamer Hiawatha on her mission in search of bodies of victims of the La Bourgogne disaster, stated to The World correspondent that some of the bodies found showed evidence of having been alive in the water for two days at least, and that the body of one woman showed that she must have lived four days after the sinking of the ship. I told my cousins about my discovery and they were in disbelief. "La Bourgogne"- by Pascal Kainic - A Titanic before the Titanic ? The liner was operated by the Compagnie Generale Transatlantique and was part of the French Naval Reserve. She was a 7,395 gross ton vessel, 494.4 feet (150.7 m) long and with a beam of 52.2 feet (15.9 m). _uacct = "UA-1877522-1"; Gil, 14. It wasn't until recently that my genealogy project took me in search of the details of this story. On July 3, 1898, at the height of the Spanish-American War, La Bourgogne left New York City for what would be the last time. urchinTracker(); google_ad_client = "pub-4868576166220424"; Jeff Domenick, 31. ", Thank you Victor for your interesting comment. The Passenger List The following is the passenger list (flrst and second cabin) of La Bourgogns. The ship was a development of the Richelieu class, but in contrast to her predecessor, she had more powerful artillery that was arranged according to a more reasonable scheme. The LA BOURGOGNE was built in 1885 by Forges & Chantiers de la Mediteranee, La Seyne for the Compagnie Generale Transatlantique (French Line). Her name was Grace Marshall and they were going to Europe to meet family and inlaws. There were also many newspaper observations about the horrible scene of savagery that followed the collision of the two vessels. She was built in 1885 by Société Nouvelle des Forges et Chantiers de la Méditerranée, La Seyne-sur-Mer for the Compagnie Generale Transatlantique (French Line). ( With help from relatives,she opened a shoe store which had a live goat in the window to attract children) Peter Barrett is mentioned in an old article as one of the few bodies(maybe 8 out of 500+) identified from the. please email me the link gbo1968@yahoo.com. In 1886 she set a new record for the fastest Atlantic crossing by a postal steamer. My great, great uncle, Father Anthoney Kessel was also a passenger on the La Bourgogne and refused a lifeboast to stay with passengers. The Cromartyshire was carrying chalk, not coal, from Dunkirk to Philadelphia. In dense fog, she kept blowing her foghorn every minute. She was killed when the ship dragged her under. Good luck for the rest of your research, It is interesting to note that the Halifax, Nova Scotia undertaker who was entrusted with the recovery and care of the victims of the Titanic tragedy was the same undertaker who accompanied the steamer Hiawatha on her mission in search of bodies of victims of the La Bourgogne disaster. The Right Rev. Jennifer, 43. I suspect my great-great grandfather may have died in this sinking. Ship construction utilizing systems of watertight compartments should be such as to insure that stricken vessel could remain afloat long enough to allow passengers and crew to escape to safety quickly. My family's legend is that an uncle ?? Do you know where all the official papers on the tradgedy are kept? The vessel had been constructed in Toulon in 1886 for $ 1.6 million; it grossed at 7.395 tons and was 480 feet long. My grandmother, Christina Nicoleti from the Northern Italian city of Turino, emigrated to America aboard the La Bourgogne in 1896. There is a small memorial stained glass window in the University of Michigan Library for Professor Edward Lorraine Walter, who drowned in this tragedy. He was taking his fiance home to meet his family. As a child, she told me that one of the passangers that drowned, a Turkish man who was returning back to his native Turkey after retiring as a circus performer, drowned because he could not swim due to the weight of the gold he stached in his pockets. google_ad_format = "120x240_as"; Treasures, 22. //