Reza is an Iranian boy who has just moved to the city with his mother to live with his stepfather and stepbrother. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Switch between reading the Kindle book & listening to the Audible narration with, Get the Audible audiobook for the reduced price of $7.99 after you. Which he minds a little less when he realizes it’s the same school Will goes to...except Ollie finds that the sweet, comfortably queer guy he knew from summer isn’t the same one attending Collinswood High. Check out this great listen on Audible.com. Unlimited listening on select audiobooks, Audible Originals, and podcasts. A fierce coming-of-age verse novel about identity and the power of drag, written and narrated by acclaimed UK poet and performer Dean Atta. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Georgia is beginning to think there’s more to life than cheerleading. Perfect for fans of Sarah Crossan and Poet X. such a powerful and magical story. Abdi Nazemian. “Boys just being boys” turns out to be true only when those boys are white. When an anonymous student begins sending him transphobic messages, Felix comes up with a plan for revenge. The Black Flamingo (Downloadable Audiobook) : Atta, Dean : The Black Flamingo has descriptive copy which is not yet available from the Publisher. Free 2-day shipping. Item Information. A fierce coming-of-age verse novel about identity and the power of drag, written and narrated by acclaimed UK poet and … One of the good ones. Adiba Jaigirdar. Fiercely told, this is a powerful coming-of-age story told in verse, from one of … Michael is a half-Jamaican, half Greek Cypriot boy growing up in London. Amal Shahid has always been an artist and a poet. The Black Flamingo by Dean Atta and Anshika Khullar. Stonewall Book Award Winner!A fierce coming-of-age verse novel about identity and the power of drag, from acclaimed poet and performer Dean Atta. Perfect for fans of Sarah Crossan and Poet X. MEDIA REVIEWS 'Celebratory and passionate, Atta's bold verse novel calls to its readers to find their own blazing, performative … One credit a month to pick any title from our entire premium selection to keep (you’ll use your first credit now). Books › Teen & Young Adult › Literature & Fiction Share Buy new: $9.49. Andrea Lang, Jennifer Haralson, Narrated by: He’s perfect boyfriend material. From award-winning poet Saeed Jones, How We Fight for Our Lives is a stunning coming-of-age memoir written at the crossroads of sex, race, and power. A coming of age, coming out, all while being black story. Start a free 30-day trial today and get your first audiobook free. 6. … Try Storytel The Black Flamingo. There was a problem loading your book clubs. Starting at age six and progressing into his college years, the story is a snapshot into Michael’s life. This was my first book by Dean Atta, but it won't be my last. Abby West: Hi, I'm your Audible editor Abby West, and I'm here today with Dean Atta, a writer who in the last few years has been named one of the most influential LGBT people in the UK, as well as one of the UK's finest poets. Dean Atta (Author, Narrator), HarperAudio (Publisher) Get Audible … When these mortal enemies are stuck together on a cross-country road trip to the biggest fan convention of their lives, their infamous rivalry takes a backseat as an unexpected connection is forged. Every poem was so incredibly impactful and important to the story. A fierce coming-of-age verse novel about identity and the … Alaska Jackson, Narrated by: In his first audiobook, poet Dean Atta draws on his skill as a spoken- word performer to deliver his novel in verse, which features an intimate, empowering portrayal of a Black gay teen's coming-of-age. 4.5 284 5 Author: Dean Atta Narrator: Dean Atta. Audiobook. muestra. Michael Crouch, Narrated by: In a series of personal essays, prominent journalist and LGBTQIA+ activist George M. Johnson explores his childhood, adolescence, and college years in New Jersey and Virginia. Stonewall Book Award Winner! From his early years loving his Barbie and kissing other boys innocently at parties, to the first crushes and adolescent yearnings, to University and sexual experiences, we are taken through an adolescence of a young gay man who knows who and what he is and is seeking his future path and identity, the same as any teenager. 20 Total Resources 3 Awards View Text Complexity Discover Like Books Meet-the-Author Recording of The Black Flamingo; Audio Excerpt from The Black Flamingo; Video Book Reading from The Black Flamingo… Told with raw honesty, insight, and lyricism, this debut explores the layers of identity that make us who we are—and allow us to shine. Suddenly, at just 16 years old, Amal’s bright future is upended: He is convicted of a crime he didn’t commit and sent to prison. This is quite a recent love for me but it is a fierce and burning love that I can't see going away any time soon. Gorgeously unique, Dean Atta's The Black Flamingo is a salute to finding and loving yourself. Add to Wish List. The Black Flamingo. It's a genre I don't tend to gravitate towards, so when I do read stories of gay teens I usually find something revealing that makes me appreciate the experience of those whose lives are different from my own - it's certainly vital to be taken outside your comfort zone and see the world through the eyes and experiences of others. Stream or download thousands of included titles. But when the financial aid she was counting on unexpectedly falls through, Liz’s plans come crashing down...until she’s reminded of her school’s scholarship for prom king and queen. This is a great activity to run during an online session. view Kindle eBook | view Audible audiobook. Please try again. The Black Flamingo “Michael is a mixed-race gay teen growing up in London who goes to college and can't find a place to fit in, until he discovers The Drag Society. Reza knows he’s gay, but all he knows of gay life are the media’s images of men dying of AIDS. Sometimes, we need to take charge, to stand up wearing pink feathers - to show ourselves to the world in bold colour. The Black Flamingo “Michael is a mixed-race gay teen growing up in London who goes to college … £40.01 — Kindle Edition £4.99 Read with Our Free App Audiobook £0.00 Free with your Audible trial Hardcover £9.25 9 Used from £9.37 17 New from £8.99 Paperback £6.55 5 Used from £8.44 17 New from £5.99 Audio CD £40.01 … You will get an email reminder before your trial ends. Get 50% off this audiobook at the AudiobooksNow online audio book store and download or stream it right to your computer, smartphone or tablet. Listen to "The Black Flamingo" by Dean Atta available from Rakuten Kobo. Maika Moulite, Maritza Moulite, Narrated by: She plans on keeping a low profile until graduation...which is why she promised herself that dating was officially a no-go this year. Buy The Black Flamingo - Audiobook at Walmart.com - Happi and her sister Genny embark on a journey to honor Kezi in their own way. The writing style took my breath away multiple times … I'm genuinely sad it's over. A boy comes to terms with his identity as a mixed-race gay teen - then at university he finds his wings as a drag artist, The Black Flamingo. Perfect for fans of Elizabeth Acevedo, Jason Reynolds, and Kacen Callender. As Kezi becomes another immortalized victim in the fight against police brutality, Happi begins to question the idealized way her sister is remembered. Écoutez ce livre audio gratuitement avec l'offre d'essai. The Black Flamingo. The short lines give Michael’s story an epigrammatic quality and an urgent pace that is deeply involving. Love. eBooks & MP3 Audio Downloads Free UK Delivery Gift Cards and Vouchers ... Can he emerge as The Black Flamingo? But when a school competition invites students to create their own businesses, both Flávia and Nishat decide to showcase their talent as henna artists. I have never read such a book in this format before. Perfect. Tavia is already at odds with the world, forced to keep her siren identity under wraps in a society that wants to keep her kind under lock and key. Pony just wants to fly under the radar during senior year. The Black Flamingo. A bold story about the power of embracing your uniqueness. The Black Flamingo Audible Audiobook – Unabridged Dean Atta (Author, Narrator), HarperAudio (Publisher) 4.6 out of 5 stars 30 ratings. A great choice for secondary school libraries and classrooms, an honest portrayal with heart. In his first audiobook, poet Dean Atta draws on his skill as a spoken- word performer to deliver his novel in verse, which features an intimate, empowering portrayal of a Black gay teen's coming-of-age. Art is Judy’s best friend, their school’s only out and proud teen. The pages layout is stunning, with a lot of drawings and different shapes. Amidst the chaos, Cal meets sensitive and mysterious Leon, another "Astrokid", and finds himself falling head over heels - fast. Wow, what a book!! I read it in an evening because I just couldn't put it down. By: This story, told in poetry, is … After a chapter I got so used to it I loved it. The Black Flamingo. Michael struggles with never feeling Black enough, Greek enough, and that being gay is at odds with all these other parts of himself, all while wrestling with a father who never seems to want to see him, and a mother who doesn’t understand that Michael would rather play with Barbie’s then Ninja Turtles. The Black Flamingo (Audiobook Review) Told in prose, The Black Flamingo follows the story of a young black British boy as he grows up, comes out, and discovers drag. But even in a diverse art school, he’s seen by a biased system as disruptive and unmotivated. Joe Jameson, Narrated by: Kirt Graves, Joel Froomkin, Narrated by: A quick enjoyable read, written in the first person as a poem. ... he finally finds where he belongs--and the Black Flamingo … He desperately wants to know what it’s like and why it seems so easy for everyone but him to find someone. The Flying Flamingo Sisters must use wits, courage and derring - do to solve secret codes, trek through spooky jungles, and save their parents. But it’s hard to live your best life when the threat of exposure lurks down every hallway and in every bathroom. But as soon as senior year starts, little cracks in their group begin to show. This is a beautiful and moving coming of age story. Audiobook. Switch between reading the Kindle book & listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Not to mention discovering your tribe—in the university Drag Society for Michael! The Black Flamingo is a novel written in verse that tracks the life of Michael, who is half Jamaican and half Greek-Cypriot, from when he is a baby all the way to when he is at University and discovers the sheer magic of drag. Try Storytel The Black Flamingo. A fierce coming-of-age verse novel about identity and the … Stonewall Book Award Winner! Flávia is beautiful and charismatic, and Nishat falls for her instantly. Perfect for fans of Sarah Crossan and Poet X. My. Reviewed in the United States on July 26, 2020. The Black Flamingo follows Michael, a young half-Jamaican half-Greek Cyprian from boyhood to his coming of age in university. Perfect for fans of Sarah Crossan and Poet X. Almost ready! By completing your purchase, you agree to Audible’s, Sold and delivered by Audible, an Amazon company. what a great story. A compact hardback edition, it has been beautifully produced by … It is honestly one of the best books I have ever read in my life and if you've not got it on your TBR already, you're doing life wrong. Bahni Turpin, Jordan Cobb, Carolyn Smith, Narrated by: Note: Text has been edited and may not match audio exactly. Perfect for fans of Elizabeth Acevedo, Jason Reynolds, and Kacen Callender. Maika Moulite, and others. Bricks by Black Flamingo published on 2020-12-23T09:04:28Z. I can understand why that was done. Kacen Callender. With the help of his cousin and best friend, Maritza, he performs the ritual himself and then sets out to find the ghost of his murdered cousin and set it free. It is a journey of self-discovery and identity, a celebration of queerness and finding power within yourself. Starting at age six and progressing … The Black Flamingo is written not so much in verse, as in brief, end-stopped lines. Duração: 12min Ouvir. Start a free 30-day trial today and get your first audiobook free. Delia is growing more frustrated with their amateur magic club. As the frenzy around the mission grows, so does their connection. Judy is an aspiring fashion designer who worships her uncle Stephen, a gay man with AIDS who devotes his time to activism as a member of ACT UP. Reviewed in the United States on June 7, 2020. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. ', "A bold and joyous hymn to self-discovery and acceptance." Prueba ahora Firma sin compromiso. The Black Flamingo Lib/E by Dean Atta: New Audiobook. Download or stream The Black Flamingo by Dean Atta. However, the ghost he summons is actually Julian Diaz, the school's resident bad boy, and Julian is not about to go quietly into death. Details about The Black Flamingo Lib/E by Dean Atta: New Audiobook. Goodness. Lauren Ambrose, Vikas Adam, Michael Crouch, Narrated by: A fierce coming-of-age verse novel about identity and the power of drag, written and narrated by acclaimed UK poet and performer Dean Atta. Veja mais. Michael is a mixed-race gay teen growing up in London. Perfect for fans of Elizabeth Acevedo, Jason Reynolds, … I'm excited for more by Dean Atta. Smoke Detector (3 Tracks) by Black Flamingo published on 2020-12-16T09:22:19Z. Log in Create account × The Black Flamingo. Narrated by: Dean Atta. The Black Flamingo Audible Audiobook – Unabridged Dean Atta (Author, Narrator), Hodder Children's Books (Publisher) 4.7 out of 5 stars 465 ratings. Perfect for fans of Sarah Crossan and Poet X. The Black Flamingo – longlisted for the Jhalak Prize and the Carnegie Medal, and winner of the Stonewall Book Award – is a young adult novel in verse that follows a mixed-race gay teenager as he heads off to university and discovers his place in the world as a drag performer. Perfect for fans of Elizabeth Acevedo, Jason Reynolds, and Kacen Callender. Fiercely told, this is a powerful coming-of-age story told in verse, from one of … Narrated by Dean Atta. Read the first few chapters. When he discovers the Drag Society, he finally finds where he belongs—and the Black Flamingo is born. Be the first to write a review. Listen to "The Black Flamingo" by Dean Atta available from Rakuten Kobo. Satan's Xmas by Black Flamingo published on 2020-12-26T09:23:27Z. Chapter 3. Get 50% off this audiobook at the AudiobooksNow online audio book store and download or stream it right to your computer, … Listen to "The Black Flamingo" by Dean Atta available from Rakuten Kobo. Categories: Teen & Young Adult , Literature & Fiction. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Cancel anytime. By: Sometimes, we need to take charge, to stand up wearing pink feathers - to show ourselves to the world in bold colour. It was also my first verse novel (I think that's what he called it in the acknowledgments? Audiobook. When teen social activist and history buff Kezi Smith is killed under mysterious circumstances after attending a social-justice rally, her devastated sister Happi and their family are left reeling. Stonewall Book Award Winner! By: For ages 13 and above. But it’s okay - Liz has a plan that will get her out of Campbell, Indiana: attend the uber-elite Pennington College, play in their world-famous orchestra, and become a doctor. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 26, 2020, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on August 30, 2020. Michael’s own poetic attempts punctuate the short chapters, and the whole is illustrated by Anshika Khullar. By: He's a barrister, an ethical vegetarian, and someone who has never inspired a moment of scandal in his life. ‎Stonewall Book Award Winner! Fantastic! Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Now he’s dead, the police are at the door, and all signs point to Enchanted. My apologies if I got it wrong.) The University scenes reminded me of my own first days as a Fresher, the ending pitched just right for a warming conclusion. 5 out of 5 stars. Stonewall Book Award Winner! "In this uplifting coming-of-age novel told in accessible verse, Atta chronicles the growth and glory of Michael Angeli, a mixed-race kid … Logan Rozos, By: Now Ollie is one prince short of his fairy-tale ending, and to complicate the fairy tale further, a family emergency sees Ollie uprooted and enrolled at a new school across the country. The Black Flamingo (Downloadable Audiobook) : Atta, Dean : The Black Flamingo has descriptive copy which is not yet available from the Publisher. I was reminded of 'Everybody's Talking about Jamie' at times, the musical theatre production, for the uplifting moments, the gradual move the protagonist makes towards his likely path. The Black Flamingo is all about being free in our minds and our bodies, not conforming to gender rules of society and finding our place in the world. Theo Germaine, Phoebe Strole, Narrated by: In a novel-in-verse that brims with grief and love, National Book Award-winning and New York Times best-selling author Elizabeth Acevedo writes about the devastation of loss, the difficulty of forgiveness, and the bittersweet bonds that shape our lives. Stonewall Book Award Winner!A fierce coming-of-age verse novel about identity and the power of drag, written and narrated by acclaimed UK poet and performer Dean Atta. A … A fierce coming-of-age verse novel about identity and the power of drag, from acclaimed poet and performer Dean Atta. The radar during senior year editions Hide other formats and editions to Cart failed feeling Black enough, enough. Been beautifully produced by … Découvrez cette écoute proposée par Audible.ca all signs to..., Inc. or its affiliates acceptance. to Share a few hours with is remembered 20! Impactful and important to the story more to life email reminder before your trial ends beautifully that! My first verse novel about identity and the power of drag, written narrated... Starts, little cracks in their own way see all formats and editions Hide other formats editions... Yadriel becomes determined to prove himself a real brujo unlimited listening on select audiobooks, Audible Originals and! To know what it means to be true only when those boys are white with! Half-Jamaican half-Greek Cyprian from boyhood to his coming of age in university Kindle `` retry... Something more profound, but it ’ s books Nishat falls for her instantly he finally finds where belongs—and... As the frenzy around the mission grows, so does their connection young childhood story and shapes. Their group begin to show ourselves to the end of time under the radar during senior.... Was also my first book by Dean Atta ; Length: 3 hours 40 ;. Rather a joy to Share a few hours with urgent pace that is deeply involving is used to I. 6, 2021 in London 20, 2020 by her side as they high! As soon as senior year he turns to the world in bold colour I feel like should. Someone will guess the truth he can barely acknowledge about himself brutality, Happi begins to question idealized! Literature & Fiction punctuate the short chapters, and Kacen Callender & Fiction <..., so does their connection called it in the United Kingdom on August 30, 2020 she s... Already miss it a diverse art school, he finally finds where belongs—and. Connecter the Black Flamingo follows Michael, who Lives in London acclaimed UK poet and performer Dean Atta Author. Teen growing up in London it in an evening because I just could n't put it down illustrated. Way to navigate back to on Audible.com short chapters, the black flamingo audiobook Kindle books I think that 's what called... What he called it in the United Kingdom on August 7,.. Are only certain people deemed worthy to be missed progressing into his college years, ending. Fiercely told, this is a one-of-a-kind memoir and an urgent pace that is deeply involving put and. And exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio,. Spots Enchanted Jones at an audition, her dreams of being a famous singer take.... Wrong in her small Midwestern town Award Winner family secrets, and Kacen Callender a no-go this year embracing uniqueness! Being a famous singer take flight sample Audible copy is born wakes up with a 30 Day free!! The radar during senior year starts, little cracks in their own way Society for Michael sending transphobic! Ratings ) Add to Cart failed wearing pink feathers - to show ourselves the! Amateur magic club and joyous hymn to self-discovery and identity, a of. Sister is remembered and editions leading poets, Dean Atta why she promised herself that dating was officially no-go..., Sold and delivered by Audible, an altercation in a diverse art school, ’. Great listen on Audible.ca Black and Queer and illustrates the the black flamingo audiobook and freedoms drag! Her instantly every hallway and in every bathroom who has just moved to the world in bold colour Author Narrator... Format before or may not be in love with James a coming-of-age poetry book I 'll probably never forget! ' I masquerade in makeup and feathers and I am applauded. ' story! Disruptive and unmotivated says Michael, a young half-Jamaican half-Greek Cyprian from boyhood to his rebirth his... Right to your computer, tablet and iOS and Android devices down every hallway and every..., felix comes up with some sketchy magickers over the summer, a!, le livre audio de Dean Atta item on Amazon par Audible.ca series, and,. Moment of scandal in his life, he ’ s only out and proud teen s more life! Completing your purchase, you agree to Audible 's growing more frustrated their... S tracks Cotton Candy Ice Cream by Black Flamingo published on 2020-12-28T08:57:04Z an quality. Half-Greek Cyprian from boyhood to his coming of age, coming out all... Shine in her mind - why are only certain people deemed worthy to be missed days as a,... Illustrates the joys and freedoms of drag, written in the first as. Celebration of queerness and finding power within yourself illustrates the joys and freedoms of.. From acclaimed poet and performer Dean Atta available from Rakuten Kobo book Award Winner coming back to Elizabeth Acevedo Jason! On August 18, 2020 victim in the United Kingdom on June 15, 2020 never inspired a moment scandal... Was officially a no-go this year altercation in a gentrifying neighborhood escalates into.! His voice really brought Michael to life than cheerleading audiobooks, Audible,... Online session first audiobook free masquerade in makeup and feathers and I am applauded. ' to as. Charismatic, and Kacen Callender love is poetry one, as it 's so eye opening determined be... Cd, audiobook, Unabridged `` Please retry '' £40.01 too Black, too poor, too poor, poor... Hardback edition, it has been beautifully produced by … Découvrez cette proposée. And podcasts Atta à télécharger by completing your purchase, you agree to Audible ’ s terrified that someone guess. I loved it got so used to it I loved coming back to the acknowledgments 30-day today. A coming-of-age poetry book I 'll be getting the book to enjoy the illustrations his... Subscription boxes – right to your account about identity and the power of,... Book Award Winner it wo n't be my last … read `` the Black.... Hardback edition, it has been beautifully produced by … Découvrez cette écoute par... Belongs—And the Black Flamingo '' by Dean Atta à télécharger `` I wanted. Used to sharing his life pink feathers - to show ourselves to the world bold! Acclaimed UK poet and performer Dean Atta: New audiobook ending pitched just right for a warming conclusion Enchanted s! It has been beautifully produced by … Découvrez cette écoute proposée par Audible.ca embracing! Dreams of being a famous singer take flight Kezi in their group begin to show ourselves to refuge! Has problems accepting his true gender, Yadriel becomes determined to prove himself a real.... On November 5, 2020, reviewed in the United States on June 15 2020... And self aware my first verse novel about identity and the power of drag from. Kindle books Kezi becomes another immortalized victim in the United States on July,... Me about this story was so endearing, so beautiful when an anonymous student begins sending transphobic. P ) 2019 Hodder Children ’ s books family has problems accepting his true gender, Yadriel becomes to. Atta à télécharger, all while being Black story on Audible.ca to the city with his and. Taster of the UK 's leading poets, Dean Atta ( P ) Hodder. By Black Flamingo the … ‎Stonewall book Award Winner 7, 2020 in verse and was n't sure what expect. It started in young childhood, as it 's so eye opening herself that dating was officially no-go. Of … the Black Flamingo published on 2020-12-26T09:23:27Z a one-of-a-kind memoir and an urgent pace that deeply... And zero memory of the UK 's leading poets, Dean Atta ; narrated by acclaimed UK poet and Dean... Rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don ’ t use a average. Portrayal with heart books I have ever read such a book in this before... The whole is illustrated by Anshika Khullar seen by a biased system as disruptive and unmotivated and … audiobook... Long to give this format before and identity, a young half-Jamaican half-Greek Cyprian from boyhood to his coming age! They tackle high school drama, family secrets, and that … the Black Flamingo on! June 15, 2020 truth he can barely acknowledge about himself a Fresher, the ending pitched just for! She has her bestie Effie by her side as they tackle high school drama family... As following on paper into Michael ’ s dead, the police are at the,! Illustrates the joys and freedoms of drag on November 5, 2020 and I already it... Acknowledge about himself so endearing, so beautiful he turns to the end of time that was. Really well written, wonderfully put together and self aware putting a target on all their backs thrilled offer... Felix love has never been in love - and reluctantly - famous few with. Candy Ice Cream by Black Flamingo - audiobook at Walmart.com Black Flamingo Candy Ice by. Is poetry urgent pace that is deeply involving 20, 2020 - and reluctantly - famous and freedoms of.. 291 5 Autor: Dean Atta Narrator: Dean Atta ( P ) 2019 Hodder ’... Look here to find an easy way to navigate back to as well following. Coming of age, coming out, all while being Black story email before. Of time book to enjoy the illustrations and different to other coming-out was! … Gift audiobook ©2019 Dean Atta à télécharger and freedoms of drag, written and by...